- 225g/8oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 110g/4oz butter, chilled, diced
- 1 medium free-range egg, gently beaten
- 450g/1lb golden syrup
- 85g/3oz fresh breadcrumbs
- generous pinch ground ginger root
- 1 lemon, zest, finely grated and a pair of tablespoons of from the juice
- clotted cream or double cream
MethodInside a bowl, rub the butter in to the flour together with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add the egg having a knife, then knead on the clean, gently dusted work surface to create a smooth dough.
Make use of the dough to line a 23cm/9in loose-bottomed tart tin, prick the bottom throughout having a fork and then leave to relax within the fridge for around half an hour.
Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
Line the pastry with parchment paper and weigh lower with grain or ceramic baking beans. Bake the pastry blind for 10-fifteen minutes, take away the paper and grain or beans and return the pastry situation towards the oven for any couple of minutes more, until light golden-brown.
For that filling, mix together the filling ingredients inside a bowl and pour in to the pastry situation. Go back to the oven and bake for around half an hour. Serve cold or hot with clotted cream or double cream.